FIELDS OF RESEARCH AND PRESENT RESEARCH ACTIVITIES
My key research interests are: marine hydrodynamics, computational fluid dynamics, non-linear free-surface and interface flows, wave-structure interactions, hydroelasticity. The general knowledge in marine hydrodynamics, gained especially through the PhD studies, was applied to carry on several analyses. Main topics of investigation are related to free-surface flow problems relevant for ship hydrodynamics, offshore structures and coastal engineering, focusing on resistance, manoeuvring and seakeeping. Major contributions are in theoretical and numerical modelling, complemented by experimental studies and related analyses. Within the theoretical framework: local high-speed solutions based on Wagner-type and similarity solutions have been investigated and coupled with numerical-based solvers. Within the numerical framework: a 2D fully nonlinear Boundary Element Method (BEM), a 2D shallow-water approximation, a 3D weakly-nonlinear seakeeping solver, 2D and 3D Domain-Decomposition (DD) strategies, have been developed. The DD strategies coupled: 1) 2D global linear seakeeping analysis with 2D inner nonlinear BEM analysis, 2) 2D global nonlinear BEM analysis with a 2D inner Navier-Stokes analysis based on a Finite Difference solver and a color-function technique for the air-water interface, 3) 3D global weakly-nonlinear seakeeping analysis with a 2D inner shallow-water approximation. The DD development required the gain of a deep knowledge of the involved methods. Cooperation was supplied to the development and application of 2D and 3D SPH solvers for the study of hydrodynamic problems. Within the experimental framework: design, cooperation to the tests, and data analysis, were performed in connection with water-on-deck model tests involving video-recording, wave-elevation and load measurements. Present research concerns the development of a 3D DD strategy combining a potential-flow seakeeping solver with a Navier-Stokes method for violent water-vessel interaction problems.
2001 PhD Marine Hydrodynamics, NTNU, Trondheim, Norway
1997 MSc Aeronautical Engineering, The University of Rome “La Sapienza”, Rome, Italy
ACADEMIC CAREER/ RESEARCH EMPLOYMENT
1997-1997 Dept. of Seakeeping and Manoeuvring, INSEAN Temporary Researcher
1998-2008 Dept. of Seakeeping and Manoeuvring, INSEAN Researcher
2008-2010 Dept. of Marine Technology, NTNU Adjunct Professor
2009-2010 Dept. of Seakeeping and Manoeuvring, INSEAN Senior Researcher
2011-pres. CNR-INSEAN Senior Researcher
2010-pres. Dept. of Marine Technology, NTNU Professor
INVITED LECTURES & SEMINARS
2010 Domain-Decomposition Strategies for Marine Applications, University of Oslo, Norway.
2010 Domain-Decomposition Strategies for Marine Applications, Det Norske Veritas, Oslo, Norway.
2002 Sea waves and their interaction with structures, University of Genoa, Italy.
PHD CANDIDATE PRESENTLY UNDER MY SUPERVISION
Borri, Daniele. Hydrodynamics of oil spills from oil tankers.
TEACHING AND ADVISING ACTIVITIES
Lecturer: of TMR4215 “Sea Loads” and contributor of TMR4217 “Hydrodynamics of high-speed marine vehicles” NTNU courses (2010-pres.); seminars at NTNU within the PhD course “Hydrodynamic Aspects of Marine Structures I” (Hydro I) on the state-of-the-art CFD solvers of interest in Marine Hydrodynamics (2004-2009).
Tutor: for three MSc students from the University of Rome, La Sapienza, four from the French engineering universities ENSIETA (Brest) and Ecole Centrale de Nantes; for a postdoc researcher from Ecole Centrale de Nantes; for PhD students at CeSOS/NTNU on the development of numerical hydrodynamic tools for ships and offshore structures, during the activity as adjunct professor.
Adviser: for quality check of Prof. Faltinsen’s books on high-speed ship hydrodynamics and sloshing.
Organizer: with Prof. Faltinsen, of the Workshop “CFD Solvers for Unsteady Marine Applications: Capabilities and Challenges” held in 2007 at Trondheim and funded by CeSOS.
Member: of four committees arranged at (CNR-) INSEAN for internal and national competitions and administrator in five PhD committees at the Dept. of Marine Technology of NTNU.
Examiner: assistant for Prof. Faltinsen in the exam for Hydro I (2008-2009), presently examiner for the TMR4215 and TMR4217 courses at NTNU.
Referee: for leading international journals in fluid dynamics and marine hydrodynamics: Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Journal of Fluid and Structures, Journal of Ship Research, Journal of Engineering Mathematics, Ocean Engineering, Journal of Marine Science and Technology.
MANAGEMENT OF RESEARCH ACTIVITIES
2004-2007: Project manager on behalf of INSEAN for the “Submarine Motions in Confined Waters“ project, EUCLID 10.17, involving four European nations: France, Italy, Norway and UK. The research activity concerned both numerical and experimental investigations.
TEN SELECTED PUBLICATIONS
- Faltinsen O.M., Greco M. (2011). Slamming and green-water phenomena on ships, on CENTEC anniversary book. Editor Prof. Soares. Centre for Marine Technology and Engineering (CENTEC), Technical University of Lisbon, Portugal.
- Colicchio G., Greco M., Faltinsen O.M., 2011, Domain-Decomposition Strategy for Marine Applications with Cavities Entrapments, J. of Fluids and Structures, 27 (4), 567-585.
- Colicchio G., Greco M., Lugni C., Faltinsen O.M., 2010, Towards a fully 3D domain-decomposition strategy for water-on-deck phenomena, J. of Hydrodynamics, Ser. B, 22 (5).
- Greco M., Colicchio G., Faltinsen O.M., 2009, Bottom slamming for a Very Large Floating Structure: coupled global and slamming analysis, J. of Fluids and Structures, 25.
- Greco M., Colicchio G., Faltinsen O.M., 2009, Bottom slamming for a Very Large Floating Structure: uncoupled global and slamming analysis, J. of Fluids and Structures, 25.
- Landrini M., Colagrossi A., Greco M., Tulin M.P., 2007, Gridless simulations of splashing processes and near-shore bore propagation, J. of Fluid Mechanics, 591.
- Greco M., Colicchio G., Faltinsen O.M., 2007, Shipping of Water on a Two-dimensional Structure: Part II, J. of Fluid Mechanics, 581.
- Colicchio, G., Greco, M., Faltinsen, O.M., 2006, BEM-level set domain decomposition strategy for nonlinear and fragmented interfacial flows, Int. Journal Numer. Meth. Engng, 67/10.
- Greco M., Faltinsen O.M., Landrini M., 2005, Shipping of Water on a Two-dimensional Structure, J. of Fluid Mechanics, 525.
- Greco M., Landrini M., Faltinsen O.M., 2004, Impact flows and loads on ship-deck structures, J. of Fluids and Structures, 19 /3.