Name: Høyland, Knut Vilhelm, born in 1967 in Oslo, Norwegian citizen
Present position: Professor in Ice mechanics at NTNU, Trondheim, Norway and Adjunct Professor, UNIS
Degrees: MSc (1993) and PhD (2000) from NTNU
Scientific assistant at Department of Applied Mechanics, NTNU 1994-1997.
Associate Professor in Arctic Technology at the University Centre on Svalbard (UNIS) 2001-2006.
Present research activities:
Measurements and simulations of sea ice in relation to ice action on structures. Mostly with ice ridges and on basic properties of sea ice, with the use of a combination of in-situ field investigations, laboratory work and numerical analyses.
Membership in academic and professional committees:
The international committee for Port and Ocean Engineering under Arctic conditions (POAC.)
The Ice committee of the International Association for Hydraulic Research (IAHR).
Present PhD students:
- Sebastien Barrault: Thermal stresses in first-year sea ice, defence 2012
- Ada Repetto: Thermo-mechanical properties and scaling of first-year sea ice ridges, defence 2011
- Nicolas Serre: Ice ridge interaction with sub-sea structures, defence 2011 and d) Aleksey Shestov: Dynamic and mechanical properties of sea ice in the shallow parts of Arctic offshore, defence 2013.
- Ole Christian Ekeberg, Variability in geometric and thermo-mechanical properties of ice ridges, defence 2014.
- Lucie Strub-Klein: Spatial and temporal variation in ridge properties, defence 2012
- Egil Møen: Ice abrasion on concrete offshore structures, defence 2012
- Wenjun Lu, Numerical analysis of ice interaction with moored structures, defence 2014.
Selected Peer-review journal papers:
- Høyland, K.V. (2007): Morphology and Small-scale Strength of Ridges in the North-western Barents Sea. Cold Regions Science and Technology, 48(3): pp, 169-187.
- Svetlana Shafrova and Knut V. Høyland (2008): The freeze-bond strength in first-year ice ridges. Small-scale field and laboratory experiments. Journal Cold Regions Science and Technology, Vol. 54, pp 54-71
- Høyland, K.V. (2009): Ice thickness, growth and salinity in the Van Mijen fjord on Svalbard, Norway. Polar Research (28), pp 1243-1249.
- Repetto-Llamazares, A.H., Høyland, K.V. and Evers, K-U. (2011): Experimental studies on shear failure of freeze-bonds in saline ice; Part I: Set-up, Failure Mode and Freeze-bond Strength. doi:10.1016/j.coldregions.2010.12.001
- Repetto-Llamazares, A.H., Høyland, K.V. and Kim, E.(2011): Experimental studies on shear failure of freeze-bonds in saline ice; Part II: Ice-ice friction after failure and failure energy. doi:10.1016/j.coldregions.2010.12.002
Selected peer-reviewed International Conference papers:
- Høyland, K. (2007): Thermal Scaling of Ice Ridges, Some Dimensionless Numbers. Proceedings of the 19th Conference on Port and Ocean Engineering under Arctic conditions (POAC), Dalian, China, Vol. 2, pp. 517-527.
- Høyland, K. V. (2008). The consolidation in second- and multi-year ridges, Part II: Review and speculations. Proceedings of the 19 Int. Symp. on Ice (IAHR), Vancouver, Canada, Vol. 2, pp 1243-1249.
- Høyland, K.V. Thermal aspects of model basin ridges, Proceedings of 20 Int. Symposium on Ice (IAHR), Lahti, Finland}, Paper #66.